Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Very Thankful Heart

I can't believe Thanksgiving is next week!! How did that happen?? For years, we always had a special church service on Thanksgiving. Now when I say for years, I mean over 30 years. When my dad pastored in New York, the church was always full. It used to be so exciting. My mom would bake and cook for days, company would come, we'd go to church and then go home and just enjoy the day...together.
There were no stores open on Thanksgiving and football was not a factor. We'd eat, play games, watch King Kong and Mighty Joe Young (the old black and white ones), eat some more, play more games, watch Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang and March of the Wooden Soldiers (Oliver & Hardy). Thanksgiving was my most favorite holiday!!
In Kansas, the Thanksgiving services didn't go over as well as they did in NY. We stopped having them about 3 years ago. We always go to my mom's. She makes the Turkey and most of the side dishes. I make a great broccoli casserole and pecan pie. We watch the parade and then head over. It's a good time. We still watch a movie, play games, and eat but it's not the same.
As we head into this season of Thanks, I am thinking about all the things I have to be thankful for. During this year of budget-conscious living and frugality, I have become very aware of God's provision. Whether it be a $4.00 pair of jeans from Goodwill, or getting through the month with everything paid, God's provision is everywhere!! He has provided for me time and time again and in ways that are most times very subtle. God is so good!! He's so good to me!!

No comments: