Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Mom's Sugar Cookies

The sugar cookie recipe I use is the same one my mom used when we were kids. It came out of her Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that I think, she received when she got married. I have a newer one of these cookbooks and this recipe isn't in there. I've tried others through the years but have always returned to this one as I like the taste and texture. The dough does not have to be refrigerated and actually is better if you don't refrigerate it. If you don't handle it too much, you can roll out every last bit of dough. I use a standard buttercream frosting and let them air dry several hours before packing them up. It's a tried and true recipe.


SUGAR COOKIES

2/3 cup shortning (I use Crisco butter flavor)

3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla

1 egg, 4 tsp milk

2 cups flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt

  • Thoroughly cream Crisco, sugar & vanilla.
  • Add egg & beat until light & fluffy.
  • Stir in milk
  • Sift together dry ingredients & blend in creamed mixture
  • Roll & cut out shapes.
  • Bake at 375 for 6-8 minutes.
  • Frost & Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




No comments: