Tuesday, October 9, 2007

One Step Forward...

I'm somewhat discouraged today. We are facing a challenge. In my "list of projects" you'll notice "Financial Peace" on the list.
Facing debt is like facing any other challenge. You seem to gain ground and then you lose some. You gain then lose. I have a tendancy to want to do things NOW. I don't want to go through the process. I forget that I didn't get into debt over night and I won't get out of debt overnight.
I went to Financial Peace University last March. Since that time I have learned so much about managing and budgeting money. I have changed some of my behaviors and some I have not. We do not, by any means live an extravagant life style. We have no car payments, and no credit cards. We have just simply fallen behind...on everything!!
I'm still up in the air about tithing. I struggle with it...always have. I believe we are supposed to do it because God said so and because its something He uses to teach us to be givers. My struggle comes from the benefits of tithing. I don't always see it. So then the argument goes on in my head. Am I giving for the wrong reasons? Am I missing something? Is it supposed to be this complicated?? It's a struggle!!
We had a big setback yesterday. Have to come up with a good amount of money within three weeks. I don't know if we can do it. The ramifications are overwhelming. This is where the discouragement has set in. We have moved forward so many steps financially and this is so many steps back.
This also means a SERIOUS lifestyle change. Christmas is going to be pretty small. The budget has been slashed and there is no extra money for anything. I know we can do this. We have to. I know we will be better off in the long run. I know that this is only 1 season of our lives. I know this. And maybe tomorrow, after a good night's sleep, I will know this is my heart.

No comments: