Monday, October 8, 2007

Christian Sisterhood

Anyone who knows me really well, knows that "overnighters" are really not my cup of tea. Why? I don't know. I just much prefer to be in my own bed and in my regular routine than at an all-night pajama party. So, when this year rolled around, I knew that come October, there would be a women's retreat. I had planned all this year not to go. I felt bad about it though. My mom is one of the ones who planned it and I usually try to go to almost everything she works on for moral support. But then one of my closest friends who doesn't do overnighters either decided to go. Well, they talked me into it...at least they thought!! I know my kids are 14 and 12 but because Cliff works 2nd shift, I was not willing to leave them alone all night. So that settled that...at least I thought. God really convicted me about the whole thing and impressed upon my heart that I needed to go. But what to do about the kids? There's a saying that says when God calls he also provides...It just so happened that Cliff was off of work this entire week. I could go!!



So, off went the ladies of Liberty Baptist (20 total) to Jamesport, MO. A beautiful Amish area of the country. We stayed in this cute little 12 room inn called "Marigolds." Each room is decorated differently with a theme. One is a lodge, one is Americana, one is the garden room, etc. I'm not sure what the theme of my room was but it was so relaxing and peaceful.



Three women shared their testimonies and I realized again how good God is. Two of the women grew up in Christian homes and at 19 wandered away from God into drugs & alchohol. But God's faithfulness drew them back and today they are leaders in our church. How wonderful it would be for our youth to hear their stories about the emptiness that comes from living for "self."

We are learning about that very thing in our Bible Study. Daniel, by Beth Moore has opened my eyes to affect the "Babylonian" culture has on us and how I, for one, have let it creep up on me and my household.

So, I am thankful that God led me to go on this retreat. I would have missed out on so many blessings. I'm extremely thankful today for my sisters in Christ.

No comments: