Friday, October 26, 2007

Financial Peace


I've been reading alot of good posts lately about Dave Ramsey. I thought I'd go ahead and put my 2-cents in.

Last March, our church offered Dave's 13-week course called "Financial Peace University. Cliff could not go because he works in the evenings so I went by myself. First of all, I had to get past the fact that I had to cough up $99 for the kit and classes. We have been living paycheck to paycheck for so long that anytime any extra expense came along it was a big deal. Where is the money going to come from?? The second issue was giving up 13 Thursday nights to do this course. I wasn't sure how this was all going to work. In the ads, Ramsey talked about how people begin saving and paying off debt during the course. "Not us," I thought. I wondered what would even be the use of going but I also didn't want to continue on (financially speaking) the way we were going. I also DID NOT want to have to live on a strict budget. I HATED them (and my financial picture showed it!!)

So, with all that being said, I started the course and the first night changed my thinking and changed my life!!! I clicked and made so much sense. If anyone was going to change our financial picture and future, it was up to me. Right away, that first week, we started making changes. I got extremely organized with our fiances & record keeping. This had to take priority.

One of the things Dave said was that this was going to be a process. Now I'm the kind of person who likes instant gratification. I get impatient. As he said, you'll take one step forward and several steps back but overall, you'll see progress moving forward. It's been so true! We've had several setbacks. The most recent one being just 3 weeks ago. I get discouraged. But you know what? I don't want to go back!!!! The girl who wondered where in the world she would find any extra money has paid off over $3000 worth of debt since March!!!!!! We've taken extra jobs, cut back on the grocery bill, cut out alot of eating out and wasteful spending. Every dollar has to be justified.

I was reading the Meredith's goals over at Like Merchant Ships. That inspires me. I figure sometime this year, we'll be able to set some more concrete goals like that.

No matter what your financial picture, I'd encourage anyone to take Dave's course. It's that life-changing. He's on the radio every day and I try to listen often because it keeps me energized, inspired, and intentional.

Best wishes to all of you who are working at Financial Peace!!!!!

2 comments:

debtfreesteve said...

Good luck to you and your husband in your journey to financial peace. Life is really nice, once you don't have any payments!

Family W said...

Love Dave Ramsey's website and books. You can go online and listen to his radio shows if you can't catch them when they air. We started our total money makeover in April. :) Many blessings to you!