Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday

Rocks in My Dryer is hosting another Works For Me Wednesday. Here's mine:

This past Spring, I took a course called, "Financial Peace University" by Dave Ramsey. Financially, it was one of the best investments we've ever made in our married life. Part of this course is learning about budgeting. I went into this knowing I did NOT want to have to live on a budget. But after the class, I appreciate the budget so much!! I has saved me so much that was once wasted funds. Anyway, we needed to be much better organized with all of our financial papers. I'd had this expanding file for several years. Originally, I'd divided it by bills and once they were paid, I put the paid bill in its section. This did not work. Our current bills seemed to be spread all over the house. Once we started the monthly budget, I took this file and divided it by month. Each month when the bills come in, I put them in the month they are due. I also put a copy of the budget forms from our Financial Peace class as well as a calander page from a free calender I took apart. During the month, I put all paid bills, bank statements, receipts, that month's budget and anything else that may financially pertain to that month in its file. I can't tell you how well this has worked! I've had to go back on several occasions and find information for certain things. Finding them is so easy. I just go to the month and retreive the information.
This file also has a small pull-out section where I keep all tax-related receipts so I can easily find them at tax-time.

No comments: