Friday, January 11, 2008

Simplicity

While reading around "bloggyland" this morning, I became inspired by several posts. Each one of them has chosen a theme or word to focus on in 2008. If you're interested, you can read one here, another one here, and this girl has been done a study on what it means to have a clean heart.


After giving this some thought, I chose the word "SIMPLICITY." I need to simplify my life. I have a natural tendancy to overcomplicate things. I'm not sure what all this means as of yet (remember, it's something I plan to focus on for an entire year) I do know, however, that this will reach into every area of my life.


As I'm sitting here right now, I can tell you that one of my first steps to a simpler life is OUT WITH THE CLUTTER!!!!!!! Yesterday I spent several HOURS at my two desk areas...cleaning out, filing, shredding, and putting away piles. I HATE clutter!!!!!!!! I'm planning on going through every closet, cabinet, drawer, hidden nooks and crannies, the attic, and the dreaded garage (that is a trash/clutter storage area) and get rid of all the junk that has tied us down.


One area that's helped me get rid of books and get new ones at the same time has been Paper Back Swap. You list books you want to trade, when they're requested, you mail them off. You then get credits that you can use to get new books. I've now got a sort of rotation system going. I'll get a new book, read it and then re-list it. I've reduced alot of unread "clutter" this way. It's worked very well for me. I have a button off to the side if you're interested in checking them out.


So what about you? You have areas you'll be focusing on this year?? I'd love to hear about it.

2 comments:

Wendi said...

Thanks for stopping by! I am on an ongoing quest for simplicity! I am working on cleaning the clutter out of cabinets and closets.

Gretchen said...

If I had to choose a word for this year, it would be "intentionality" or "investing".

I'm thinking about my time, and "numbering my days", considering the season of life, and using it in the best possible way. I'm looking to be intentional with my relationships, my reading, and the way I spend my free time. I want to invest in kingdom things -- eternal things!

Paperback swap sounds a lot like BookMooch!