Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My Part-Time Job

I have been a coupon clipper since I was a teenager. I LOVED cutting them out and organizing them for my mom. I set her up a categorized file box that she'd take to the grocery store. I think I took that box with me when I got married.

When Amy was a little girl she would get so excited everytime I'd get out the coupons and scissors. I'd give her the "unwanted" ones or some ads and let her cut to her heart's content. Emily now likes to cut them out with me.

Until I got the internet, I thought I was doing really well if I saved anywhere between $5 and $10 with coupons. Not any more!!!!!! Reading blogs like this one has really taught me how to effectively use them and save much bigger dollars. I told Cliff that I look at this as a part-time job. It's what I do on Sunday afternoons (while I watch the race of course). I clip, file, and then hit the blogs and read up on all the sales. I pre-plan almost everything I'm going to buy. I use a list.

I ususally shop on Mondays but since I was sick yesterday I had to go today. I generally go to 4 stores....Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, and the local grocery. Today I saved over $150.00 between the coupons and sales. Do I ever feel good!! Now I will admit that this was a particularly good week for me but on the average, I save anywhere from $50 - $100 weekly. Not too bad for a few hours of work and definately good for our post-Dave Ramsey, Total Money Makeover lifestyle!!!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good job!!!!!! Ahh....no food tastes as good to me as free food does :)

There were so many good ones from last week's paper, and this week will be great again. After several weeks of not so great ones, I am glad to see lots of freebies out there right now.