Thursday, September 11, 2008

Christmas Surprise

It was Christmas, 1994 and I was tired and busy and for some reason, never had the time to make Christmas cookies that year. For me, I have to have at least one cookie, so the week between Christmas and New Years I baked all my cookies. Two weeks or so later, I noticed I gained 10 pounds!! Now, I know I ate alot of cookies but certainly NOT 10 pounds worth!!! It was Wednesday and as I was heading out to set up for my kids Bible class at church, Cliff said to me, "you gained that weight because you're pregnant, Rebecca." "What?? No I'm not!" I said. Just to prove him wrong, I ran to the drugstore and bought a pregnancy test before heading to the church. Imagine my complete surprise when the test showed "POSITIVE." I called Cliff, "You are Not going to believe this. I'm Pregnant!!"

We were so happy! This was our fourth child and we knew it was going to be our last. We already had 2 boys and a girl and my heart's desire was for another girl. I prayed that God would bless us with a daughter. The day of the sonogram, I fairly skipped to the grocery store where my mom worked to tell her that we were going to have a little girl!

She arrived 13 years ago today. We named her Emily. She brought to our household and to my heart such delight. She was an excellent baby and I knew that God, in His great wisdom, not only blessed me with a girl but a very content baby.

She's been my little buddy all these years. She came to work with me every day and it's always been such a joy to have her around. I just delight in her. She's kind and creative. She's a sweetheart and our lives are all the richer because she's in it.

Out of my four children, I think that she has grown up the fastest!! For some reason it seems like one day she was a
baby and the next she was 5 and running off to school
(she was more than ready to go.) Now today, somehow, she's turned 13. I don't know how that happened. I love this daughter who has such a great attitude and such a spirit of servanthood.



Happy, Happy Birthday, Emily!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I think you meant Christmas 1994.

Can't believe Emily is 13- in my mind she is still a baby. I feel like I missed her whole growing up years.

You must be getting old- all your kids are teenagers and older!!(I'm right behind you sister!!) Bet you never thought that day would come!

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,
Oh my, tears again as time goes by too fast. I thought it was sad when you guys grew up so fast, but now my grandchildren. Where did my little sweet Emily go, now she is like a buddy to me and sometimes has to take care of me.:)
Love, Mom