Friday, June 6, 2008

Christian Fiction

The late Ruth Bell Graham once said, "Read, read, read. Use the Bible as your home base, but vary your diet.

I like to read. I believe that reading is so fundamental to my growth as a person as well as a Christian and a leader. I try to always be reading and learning something. Sometimes, I just like to read for fun, though and a personal decision has been to guard my choices of fiction. Over the years I have read so many books by so many talented authors. There's no way I could remember them all. However, there are some that stick out and here's a list of my favorites.

  • Jumping in Sunset by Dawn Ringling: One of the best stories I have read of the casualties, consequences, and aftermaths of an affair and subsequent divorce.
  • Two From Galilee by Marjorie Holmes: This book came from my grandmother's collection. It tells the story of Mary & Joseph. For me, it gave faces and life to these Biblical characters.
  • And The Shofar Blew by Francine Rivers: Although a work of fiction, it is a warning to the church. I could not put this book down! Francine Rivers is also one of my favorite authors. Her stories have such deep storylines of redemption, forgiveness, and grace.
  • Though None Go With Me by Jerry B. Jenkins: A wonderful story of a woman's life. She meets with love and tragedy and through it all, seeks to fulfill God's calling upon her life. In the end, she finds how many lives she touched.
  • Jeanette Oke: Back in the early 90's, there was a girl in our church who had come across a series of books by Jeanette Oke. She loved these novels and was so thrilled to have her mother read them because each book contained a story of faith. I have collected almost all of these books with the hopes of one day passing them on to my daughters. I have read each one of them several times over.
  • Dee Henderson: These are absolutely just for fun! I love adventure movies and her books are full of wonderful stories and adventure. I have all of the books she has put out so far and have read each of them several times over.
  • Gilbert Morris: I have lost count of how many books are in his "House of Winslow" series. It starts with the Winslow family coming over on the Mayflower and continues up into the 1940's. He intertwines fictional characters with historical figures which is something I love!
  • Brock & Bodie Theone: Their "Zion Covenant" series was an incredible account of the holocaust.

These are just some of my favorites. How about you? Any good suggestions? I'm always looking for something good to read!!

No comments: