Friday, April 4, 2008

Just For Fun

Last summer, I worked on a video for a woman who lives just up the road from me. I had to go to her home on several occasions to meet with her. While in her home, I noticed several vintage lunch boxes and was quickly caught up in looking at them. They brought up so many memories from when I was a kid. Well, it seems that the lunch boxes I could see around her kitchen were only scratching the surface. She took me to her upstairs landing and it was wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling lunch boxes! I could have stood there for hours looking at them. They were just so fun! Then we went down to the basement where 4 more display cases were set up, full of lunch boxes. They were just such happy things that brought up happy memories.


From my childhood, I have one lunch box. The only reason it survived, I believe, is that it is a Barbie vinyl lunchbox that I used to hold my Barbie clothes. It's pretty beat up and stored high up in my closet. I can't reach it to photograph it so I found this one on the web that is similiar in style. Mine is Barbie pink. I remember having one the style of the Snoopy one above. I also had this green Peanuts lunchbox (got it for Christmas one year) and the classic red plaid (didn't everyone have this one once?)

These are just for fun. Aren't they fun to look at? Do you remember any of your lunch boxes??






12 comments:

Tracy said...

The only lunchbox that I recall having was a golden yellow and featured the BeeGees!

Rose of Sharon said...

I love the old lunch boxes. I really don't have a memory of any that I owned, I think my mother used paper sacks. I do own a red plaid one now that I use in my back to school display on the front porch. I love all the ones you showed, but I am partial to the metal ones.

Hugs, Sharon

Dawn said...

Thanks for stopping by my show and tell yesterday - it was fun to go down and read yours. It is amazing how far we've come computer-wise, for sure.

I don't recall ever owning a lunch box - there were too many of us kids and not enough money, I think! Isn't it interesting what people collect? I most just collect dust!

Thanks for your promise to remember Ruth in prayer. It is going to be a very intense surgery.

Come back any time!

Anonymous said...

Rebecca the blog looks beautiful! Love the photos up top and Uncle MAtt's quote!

Gretchen said...

Rebecca -- your header is fantastic. I love the new layout. And Matt's quote is GREAT! Original idea, I just love it!

The Apron Queen said...

Love it! I had a Star Wars lunch box w/ Princess Lea.

For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen, the home of Vintage Thingies Thursdays.

Betsy Brock said...

What a fun blog entry! The only box I remember having is that classic red plaid one. And I remember my husband having a Charlie Brown one long, long ago. (We've known each other forever!)
Thanks for sharing ~~brought back fun memories!

Elizabeth said...

how in the world do you remember which lunch box you had? I can't even remember what I had for lunch this afternoon most days. Honestly, I do not remember any lunch box. I do remember bringing a drink to school in a glass bottle and it falling and breaking.

Anonymous said...

I had a Strawberry Shortcake one, and I also remember a Disney one with Mickey and the Country Bears. I can still remember the smell of peanut butter sandwiches, apples, cookies and chocolate milk ;o)

Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way, I LOVE your new header ;o)

nannykim said...

most of us had hot lunches and the kids that had cold ones usually used paperbags---I am probably older than you. But a funny story is my youngest son's lunchbox. He is a Junior in college and when he was in kidnergarten he had a lunch box which he continued to use into high school. The kids all had a joke about it--saying we should dip it in gold like you do baby shoes---it was quite funny.

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Loved your post! I had a red plaid one which I decorated with Snoopy and Peanuts stickers, and Disney one. I still have my plaid one packed away, it stores my gumwrapper chains-lol!