Sunday, July 15, 2012

One Year Anniversary


This past Thursday, I reached a milestone.  I celebrated the one year anniversary since I started to get healthy.  I not only had to change what I was eating, but how I was eating, I had to start moving, and I had to go deeper and deal with some emotional & spiritual issues as well.  The changes have taken place through my entire being.
Physical changes, frankly, are quite straight-forward.  Eating changes have been drastic as I've cut out all fast-food, sugars, almost all grain products, and high-fat foods.  What I'm left with is a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables, and lean protien.
Exercise has been primarily walking.  I started doing what I could.  30 minutes 5 days a week. It was HARD.  My back and my calves would hurt so bad!  I have walked through the seasons outside and I now prefer to walk on my treadmill.  I walk at a higher rated of speed and feel like I get a far better workout.  I now do 70 minutes 5-6 days a week and am up to 3.25 miles.  I also just started a water aerobics class on Mondays that is pure fun and 60 minutes of non-stop moving.
Emotional and spiritual issues were a bit harder to deal with.  In fact, they were things I could not heal on my own.  The Lord had to come in and do His healing work in areas of my life that were hidden down deep in my being.  I'm so thankful He turned on the Light of His Truth in those dark places.

Exactly one month before starting

December (a little over 6 months) - 70 pounds lighter

Almost one year - 93 pounds lighter!
I now live life...it isn't passing me by as I watch from the couch.  I'm active and healthy.  My energy levels are through the roof.  Its amazing how that happens when weight comes off and you start to move.  The pain in my back, calves, and knees?  Gone.  My frame was never meant to carry all that weight.  Am I at my goal?  No.  There is still work to be done.  Do I get discouraged?  YES!  So I try to remind myself how amazing this year has been so how much more will next year be!!

My advice to anyone who desire to shed some pounds is: First of all, you CAN do it.  You have to believe that.  It's HARD!  There are NO shortcuts.  Initially the choices are hard but once you cross over the hurdle, it becomes a way of life and it does get easier.  Second, don't neglect the emotional and physical.  There's a reason people eat for comfort or when they're bored or sad.  Plateaus will come.  Discouragement is going to happen but you've got to keep going.  It isn't always easy but it's ALWAYS worth it!!

No comments: