Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Rivers in the Desert


Isaiah 43:18-20 (King James Version)
"Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old.
Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth;
shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.
The beast of the field shall honour me,
the dragons and the owls: because I give waters in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert, to give drink to my people, my chosen."
Recently I came across this scripture. I've heard of "Streams in the Desert" before as it is a popular devotional book but I'd really never given it much more thought than that. But when I came across this scripture, I began to really think about it.
First of all, I have found myself in a "desert", so to speak. What is a "desert?" For me, it is an area of unknown....and area of total faith and a time of learning just who God really is. It is that place that you find yourself in when God prompts you to leave your comfort zone, whether good or bad, and go on a journey with Him.
I've come to the edge of my desert before. I've stuck one foot in and retreated back out of fear and also because I didn't fully trust God. Now I'm all in. And what I've found is that God provides even though I'm in a barren land. He offers refreshment and how I need it!! What I got to thinking about this morning, however, is all the rivers He has provided that I have taken for granted. Prayers and encouragement from friends, my church, messages brought on Sunday, worship, a love note from my daughter, a call from my son, a chat with another daughter, and another son doing something nice for his mom...just because. The Psalms, prayer, lessons learned. Lunches and conversations with my mom, phone calls to my dad, race fun with friends and on and on the list goes!! It has caused me to realize how much God has truly blessed me!! And its helped me to get back up and keep walking...with God until I reach the other side. I'm not there yet. I've still got a ways to go.

No comments: