Friday, January 7, 2011

Goals?

Those of you who know anything about me, know that I love to be organized. I'm not saying that every area of my life or my house is actually organized but I'm always looking to achieve a certain amount of organization...I function best there.
So, knowing my nerdy, organizational ways, I was THRILLED to come across a free, downloadable "Goals & Priorities" diary/planner (did I also mention I LOVE paperwork & office supplies?) on Facebook here. (There is a tab for the free diary and the promotion ends Jan. 10)
So, the other night I sat & wrote out 20 goals for myself and our home this year. Most of them I'd already been thinking about. Some of them are simple and some are quite a large undertaking. I love, though, how the diary takes these yearly goals and breaks them down into months, weeks, and then days.
REALITY CHECK: It's week #1. To be honest, I probably won't achieve all the goals on my list....in fact I would be very surprised if I did. Frankly, I may not keep up the diary/planner for the entire year. I may but then again I may forget about it or loose interest. There's only so much we have control over. I found that out a long time ago. God has a way of taking me through turns in roads I never knew existed. But the things that I can control...like taking better care of myself and trying to celebrate moments in my kid's lives I want to do my best at them.
My dad always used to have a saying about goals that I think my grandpa passed on to him:
"Goals are like stars...we may not always reach them but they keep us looking up."
So for today, I'm finally feeling better from that crazy stomach bug, I'm already facing the first "hurdle" of the new year, and I've got a plan for the things I can control because time slips away far too easily as it is. As for the things I can't? well, I gave up control of that to ONE who is far greater than I, and frankly, He's far better at controlling my life than I am!

No comments: