Monday, November 8, 2010

Random Childhood Memories

It must be the all-too-quickly approaching holiday season that has me waxing nostalgic. Over the past couple days, I've been remembering some various memories from my childhood. There's no rhyme or reason to them:
  • Instead of waiting to take us shoe shopping after school or on a Saturday, my mom would trace an outline of our foot on a piece of paper and take that to the store with her to buy our shoes. (Usually those white canvas tennis shoes)....maybe she didn't want the hassle of us kids in the store with her!
  • Back in the day before everything was packaged in plastic, most liquids came in glass bottles. For some reason I didn't have a thermos so my mom put my kool-aid for my lunch in a small glass bottle. Of course I dropped my lunch that day and there was glass everywhere!
  • Speaking of glass, my mom had a glass tea/coffee pot. One morning as I was getting ready to leave for school, I swung it around and hit the counter with it, spilling the boiling water all over my feet. I had to put my socks & white canvas tennis shoes on my burnt feet!! Somehow I managed to get to the wooden telephone booth at school and call my mom to come and get me because my feet were on fire!! She did!!
  • I used to have the classic red rubber golashes and the plaid lunchbox!
  • When I was a little girl of 5, we lived in a house in a small country town upstate, NY. The house had a big willow tree over the driveway that we spent hours playing under. When it rained, large puddles would form in the driveway (they seemed the size of a pond to my 5-year old imagination) and I was so disappointed to discover you cannot use a tobaggan to set sail in a pond-like puddle.

No comments: