Thursday, April 28, 2011

It's Been A Long Time




I'm sitting here at the VA medical center for what should be Cliff's last doctor's appointment. This whole roller-coaster ride began almost 2 months ago, right down the hall when we came to the emergency room for the shooting pain down his leg.


The MRI showed he had not one but THREE bulging discs. He could potentially have had them for years and didn't know it until the one hit the nerve endings. He recieved the lumbar epidural on Tuesday and today he's back to his old self....probably a bit better than his old self because he has no back pain. His visit to the dr. today will hopefully clear him to go back to work on Monday.


It's been 2 months full of up and down emotions. Obviously without him working the past two months, our income has definately been affected and to be honest, that has been the most discouraging part of this whole thing. God has brought us through to this point. We still have a couple weeks to get through and I'd been lying if I said I wasn't concerned. But we'll make it. We always do.


I am struck with the realization, however, that for many people, especially those battling chronic or terminal illnesses, this is a way of life. I have had the luxury of knowing that this is only temporary. That alone brings peace of mind. I have such a respect for those people and the people who care for them. I have some dear friends who are battling cancer. For them its not been a matter of a couple months but a couple of YEARS. They have no guarantees and no end in sight. Just when they think things are turning around, they seem to develop another set-back. My heart and my prayers go out to them. And I realize, in spite of my problems, just how very, very blessed I am.



No comments: