Friday, December 11, 2009

Deutsche Weihnachten


Sunday afternoon we headed to join Josh in one of his favorite Christmas traditions since going to Bethel. Deutsche Weihnachten is a German Advent service. When I say, "German," I mean the entire thing is in German, including the program.
It is presented by the college's German and Music departments and included and organ prelude, several readings, and choral selections, along with carol sings. As usual, Josh surprised me with a solo. I was amazed at how many people were there and when we came to the first carol (which I had figured out was O Come All Ye Faithful), I was amazed how they all sang out...in German. It was so cool and so Christmasy!!
The evening ended with the lights turned out and the entire place was lit up with candles as we closed with the German translation of Silent Night. It was beautiful!!

No comments: