Thursday, February 26, 2009

Taking the High Road


Last year in my reading, I read two books that really "grew" me as a person and the way I interact with people. One of those books was this one, "25 Ways to Win With People" by John Maxwell. The title kind of sounds like it may be ways for you to "get ahead" but that is NOT the premise of this book. It's more about seeing things from other's perspectives...realizing that there is so much more to people than what we see on the surface.

One of the chapters that has really stuck with me is about "Taking the High Road." Maxwell points out that when people "do us wrong" or we have a situation with someone, we have a choice to take one of three roads. The Low Road, where we basically "get back at them" or "do them dirty." The Middle Road, where we act just like they do. Or, we can take The High Road, where no matter what has been done, we act according to the character that drives and defines us. That does not mean we sit down and get walked all over nor does it not mean that we don't stand up for ourselves. It means that things like vengeance and retaliation are put aside for the sake of character and integrity.

My dad is such a great example of this. He truly sees the good in people and I don't know that I've ever seen him get mean or ugly with anyone. I know he isn't perfect but taking the High Road is pretty much a way of life for him. That's the kind of example I want to be to my kids. When the chips are down, no matter what, they can count on their mom taking the High Road.

Over the course of the past few weeks, I've been trying to teach this to my kids. Each in a different situation and while it is harder to take the high road, in the end, you are the winner and, in time, the truth will always come out...and if you are a believe, God, in the end is glorified.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post Rebecca...
Love, Mom