Saturday, May 23, 2009

Great Book Finds

I have loved reading since I was a child and I'm still and avid reader today. I am, however, more selective about what I read more than I used to be. Primarily because I don't have large blocks of time to read away. I try to choose books that will grow me as a person and challenge me in areas where I need to learn, like work/ministry, faith, family, etc.


Here's a couple I've read so far this year that have blessed me!!



Ministry:
This book is wonderful for anyone who serves the Lord in any capacity. With years of experience and encouragement from the Scripture, Wiersbe challenges & encourages those who minister. I love the fact that it is comprised of 31 short, conversational chapters which I read one per day. I am making this book part of my daily reading. I plan to read it again and again!!




Faith:

Pastor Jim Cymbala, of the Brooklyn Tabernacle, opened up, for me, at least, a whole new aspect and excitement to prayer. I learned so much about the power of prayer and the work of the Holy Spirit. Our ladies prayer group is now currently going through this book. The teachings through Scripture are vital to the prayer life of any believer as well as the church.





Family:
I actually stumbled across this book at our local library. I have since learned of its popularity. I usually will NOT read marriage books but this one happened to catch my eye so I brought it home....and couldn't stop reading. Once again, Eggerichs uses the Scripture throughout this entire book and the lessons he draws out are so basic and so simple yet if applied, are life-chaning! I finished this book humbled by the way the Lord convicted my spirit and the lessons I learned and with an entire new understanding of my husband. I have since bought my own copy!!
If you are looking for any Summer reading, I heartily recommend any of these. I'm always on the look-out for good books and if you have any suggestions for me, I'd LOVE to hear them!!

No comments: